Nothing can ruin the appearance of a room more than an ugly ceiling. This may be from age, stains, color, popcorn finish or something else that detracts from the room’s appearance. While it costs quite a bit to hire a contractor to replace it, doing it yourself is not only less expensive but fun to do.
Proper installation of ceiling tiles requires precision measuring and laying out a pattern. When this is done, you can be sure the end result will look like it was done by a pro. It is possible to have a plain ceiling, drop ceiling,or a type that will compliment the room.
The Step-by-Step Guide
- Prior to starting, it is important to line up your tools. These include chalk string, staple gun, utility knife, hammer, level, metal ruler, nails, cement/adhesive, stud finder, ladder, mild detergent, 12x12 inch fiberboard (or type of tile you are installing), pine strips (1x3 inches), molding (if desired) and a clean broom. Before beginning, remove the light fixtures.
- There are many different types of ceiling tiles available that involve complete instructions. These include Styrofoam, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, perforated stainless, brass, Faux Stone Panels, Tin Nail-up or glue Faux Tin. The choice depends on the type of ceiling you have and the finish desired.
- To have a beautiful, self-installed, ceiling, it is essential to be precise in tile and ceiling measurement. The number of tiles required can be determined by measuring the square footage of the ceiling and then measuring the square footage of the tile. This is essential to assure tiles are even across the room.
- You will have to use your straight edge to cut the edges of a tile that is too large. Always, check for a fit prior to applying glue. It is important to order extra tile in case of a cutting error.
- Attaching tiles with adhesive, such as Liquid Nails or contact cement, is one of the easiest applications. Adhesive application is not recommended if the ceiling has peeling paint, popcorn finish or loose plaster. If the ceiling is greasy or dirty, washing with half gallon of water and 1 cup of ammonia will produce a smooth clean surface, which will allow the tiles to remain secure.
- Determining the number of tiles required is made by is measuring the square footage of the room and the tile. Easy DYI instructions are available on the Internet, which explain the simple steps to follow.
- Proper installation of ceiling tiles depends a great deal on the wall studs. These are located by the use of your stud finder tool. This is especially important when installing furring strips which must be installed with nails. After the tiles are installed, placing molding around the room produces a beautiful finish. Always be sure the molding is a color that compliments the installed tile.
There are many beautiful ceiling tiles available that can change an ugly, dirty ceiling into one of beauty. Ranging from a plain white tile to Faux Stone Panels, there is something to fit every décor and, best of all, you can do it yourself by following DYI instructions on the Internet.